Canyon Coal is committed to reducing its impact on the environment. The Company strives to improve its environmental performance over time and to initiate additional projects and activities that will further reduce its impacts on the environment. Canyon Coal’s commitment to the environment extends to its customers, staff and community in which it operates. As a part of the extractive industry, we are aware of the impact our industry has on our environment and those around us. We strive towards sustainable practices over and above our required legislative compliance, and to conduct our operations in the most environmentally conscious way and to create the smallest footprint possible.
Canyon employs a team of environmental specialists which form an integral part of our project team, responsible for developing mines and compliance on our current operations. We have an open communication pathway between environmental and mining personnel in order to not force impractical and impossible measures on our operations, but rather have a collaboration in order to get to the best practical solution which, when agreed upon, will be implemented. All of our operations are fully licensed, each of them has an approved Environmental Management Programme as well as a Water Use License, which is audited annually, and forms an integral part in how we conduct our mining. Monitoring on all our sites is conducted by independent specialist and samples are analysed in SANS accredited laboratories. Our policies are developed in line with legislative requirements to minimise and mitigate our environmental impact.
Processing plants are known to consume large quantities of water, to fight against the droughts in our country, we have implemented innovative water conservation practices. All our mines are based on closed water systems with no discharges into the surrounding environment; in order to achieve this, we have installed belt filter presses at each of our processing plants to recycle water for reuse in the plant from our slurry. Our waste management strategies also recognise that preventing pollution is more economic and effective for pollution reduction than cleaning up the pollution later, thus we invest in doing things properly the first time. To avoid leaving a legacy of environmental degradation and waste as is associated with the mining industry. By being aware of our impacts and by proactively managing and minimising them, where possible, we aim to become better environmental stewards and caretakers of our workers. We further realise that mining (particularly opencast mining) are temporary activities with finite operating lives, depending entirely on the size of the resource. Our closure and rehabilitation activities are based upon that knowledge and we thus aim to restore the land we have used to encourage sustainable land use practices for re-use by people and/or ecosystems after we have left.
CANYON COAL IS COMMITTED TO:
- Be proactive in the field of environmental sustainability in all its investments.
- Conduct responsible mining practices.
- Ensuring employees knowledge environmental risks by effective assessment and training.
- The reduction, re-use and recycling of waste to minimise final disposal and promote the efficient use of natural resources.
- Preventing and reducing all forms of pollution by employing effective technologies to control emissions to air and pollution of land and water.
- Maintaining transparent, consultative relationships with all stakeholders through effective communication channels related to environmental issues.
- Complying with acceptable legislation, regulations and other relevant industry norms.
- Ensure adequate closure and rehabilitation provisions are in place.
- Providing adequate financial provision during the expected life of its operations to ensure sustainable life when operations cease.
- Supporting the fundamental human rights of employees, contractors and the communities in which it operates.